Phyllis Eide joined the faculty at Washington State University College of Nursing in 2002, where she is currently an Associate Professor. She has been certified by American Nurses’ Credentialing Center in advanced practice nursing as a clinical nurse specialist in community health since 1992 and holds a certificate in Decision Making for Climate Change from the University of Washington (2010). Before entering academia in 1992 at University of Hawaii/Hilo, she worked in a wide variety of community settings, including positions in public health, migrant school nurse, Associate Director of Hawaii Nurses’ Association, and vocational rehabilitation. Her primary practice and research interests are rural health, global climate change, and public health.
- PhD, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- MN, University of Hawaii, Manoa, HI
- MPH, University of Hawaii, Manoa, HI
Rural health, global climate change, and public health
- Western Institute of Nursing (WIN), 2012
- Association of Community Health Nurse Educators (ACHNE), 2012
- Washington Rural Health Association, 2009-present
- Sigma Theta Tau, 1986-present
- American Nurses Association, 1986-present
- American Public Health Association, 1985-present
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AACN Leadership Fellow, 2009
- Laura Dunstan Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chi chapter, 2004
- Excellence in Nursing Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chi chapter, 2004
- Selected as Full Fellow attendee at Rural Health Institute, Decker School of Nursing, SUNY/Binghamton, Binghamton, NY, 2001
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Leadership Award for PhD graduating cohort (Nursing), 2000
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, valedictorian for PhD nursing cohort, 2000
- University of Colorado Graduate Fellowship recipient ($5,000) – invited to apply by School of Nursing faculty at UCHSC, 1997
- Named to “Who’s Who in American Nursing,” 1986
Eide, P. & Kahn, D. (2008). Ethical issues inherent in the qualitative researcher/participant relationship. Nursing Ethics. 15 (2), 199-207.
Eide, P. (2006). Native Hawaiian women and the experience of breast cancer. Women & Health 44 (4), 41-59.
Eide, P., Hahn, L., Bayne, T., Allen, C., & Swain, D. (2006). Innovations in teaching community health: The population focused analysis project. Nursing Education Perspectives 27 (1), 22-27.
Eide, P. & Allen, C. (2005). Recruiting transcultural qualitative research participants: A conceptual model. International Journal of Qualitative Methods 4 (2). Retrieved 2/20/06, from
Eide, P. (1996). Rural interdisciplinary healthcare training in Hawaii: A cross-cultural project. Journal of Australian Rural Health, 4(3), 165-170.P