The Professional Development office provides regular, relevant continuing education (CE) for registered nurses in Washington state. Click through course offerings below for CE opportunities and for nurses needing to meet Washington state licensing requirements.
- School Nursing: Preparation for Initial Certification
- This course is designed for the BSN-prepared nurse who wishes to prepare for this certification as a school nurse. Topics will include the role of the school nurse, schools and society, growth and development, learning strategies, school law, and the legal and professional responsibilities of the ESA-prepared school nurse. This hybrid course will incorporate independent study and classroom instruction. Independent study course materials are to be completed and submitted to the faculty prior to the dates of classroom instruction for evaluation. The hybrid course will include 30 hours of instruction. Cost: $500.
- January 28-29, 2017; Registration deadline is January 9, 2017
- June 2017 dates TBD
- Nurse Refresher Course
- This course meets the State of Washington’s requirements for re-entry into practice for nurses who have allowed their license to lapse or become inactive for longer than 3 years and/or are required by the state board of nursing. This course is also for nurses who have active licenses who are interested in returning to a clinical position and would like a review of nursing theory and the opportunity to practice and refresh their nursing skills.
- Self-directed review of medical/surgical nursing theory & pharmacology
- 3-day live session of health assessment & skills review (HASR) located on the Spokane campus
- 160 hours of clinical experience with a facility in your area
- Total cost for all 3 sections is $2,400 ($800 per section)
- Eligible for 240 continuing competency hours for license renewal
- To learn more about the RN refresher course, download the RN Refresher Information Sheet.
For additional information, please contact our office at 509-324-7219 or 509-324-7354.
- Safe Medication Administration
- Supports the intent of all nurses to provide safe care. This 60-hour course is ready when you are. A 20-hour independent study of texts and syllabus can stand alone, or is followed by 40 hours of supervised medication administration. Meets requirements of Washington State Board of Nursing for remediation.
– Theory & Clinical $350
– Theory only $100
- Personal and Vocational Relationships
- This 15-hour self-directed course provides the nurse who has been educated as a practical nurse outside of the United States, in another state, or recommended by the Department of Health the opportunity to meet the State of Washington requirement related to Personal and Vocational Relationships. Cost: $150. » Learn more
- Ethics related to nursing practice. A home-study video series. 9 hours. Cost: $200.
- Basic pharmacology with emphasis on drug classification. 30 hours. Cost: $250.
- Tobacco Cessation Counseling
- The goal of this program is to help health professionals be engaged in actively helping tobacco users to quit. » Learn more
For more information about tobacco cessation training, contact:
WSU College of Nursing