Photovoice unveils insights into health determinants among homeless women in Spokane

Two people holding hands.
"One of the things that help me stay emotionally healthy is all the good friends. They help me sort through all the things that make me upset or irritable." - Nina (Photograph by Joan)

“Using Photovoice to Explore Determinants of Health among Homeless and Unstably Housed Women” was published in the 2024 edition of the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (DOI: 10.3390/ijerph21020195). The study sheds light on the lived experiences of homeless and women who are experiencing housing insecurity, particularly focusing on health-related priorities. It was led by Jessica Mackelprang of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia; in collaboration with former College of Nursing associate professor Janessa Graves (now with the University of Washington School of Medicine) and Halle Schultz, a College of Nursing graduate student and Honors College student.

The research, conducted in Spokane, Washington, aimed to address the understudied health-related concerns, needs, and behaviors of homeless and unstably housed women. Utilizing Photovoice, a community-based participatory action research method, participants were encouraged to take photographs illustrating their perspectives on housing and health. These images were then discussed, revealing three overarching themes: “These are my supports,” “I’m trying to make my health better,” and “[My] choices are very limited.”

“I try to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and drink more water. I’m trying to make my health better… I watch what I eat.” – Patti

The study highlights the instrumental and emotional support crucial for maintaining or improving the physical and mental health of homeless women. Participants showcased resourcefulness, creativity, and hope as they strive toward health improvement. The research emphasizes the need for trauma-informed, strengths-based approaches in healthcare and social work programs, respecting the autonomy of homeless and unstably housed women.

The findings suggest the importance of understanding health determinants among homeless and unstably housed women, particularly in smaller metropolitan and rural communities. The study advocates for collaborative efforts with these communities in designing, implementing, and evaluating services to minimize power imbalances in research, policy, and practice.

This research not only contributes to the academic understanding of homelessness and health but also serves as a call to action for community leaders, healthcare providers, and policymakers to address the unique challenges faced by homeless and unstably housed women.

Note: The article “Using Photovoice to Explore Determinants of Health among Homeless and Unstably Housed Women” is available for public access on the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health website (DOI: 10.3390/ijerph21020195).

About Halle M. Schulz

Halle M. Schulz, an Honors College student at Washington State University, demonstrated a strong commitment to community engagement through her work on this research project. In Spring of 2017, Schulz received a Gray Award, the second-highest level, for her research on “Concepts and Perspectives of Health and Housing Among Homeless and Low Income Adults in Spokane: A Photovoice Project.” Schulz worked with a group of homeless and low-income women who were asked to take photographs illustrating their perspectives on housing and health. Then Schulz recorded their discussions about those images to help identify concepts and themes associated with health. Her research was conducted in conjunction with Graves; Victoria Sattler, PhD, MN, of Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center; and Susan Tyler-Babkirk and Mary Lou Sproul, both of Transitions.