- This event has passed.
School Nursing: Preparation for Initial Certification
January 7 @ 8:00 am - January 8 @ 5:00 pm$450
This course is designed for a nurse with a BSN who wants to prepare for certification as a school nurse. Topics include the role of the school nurse, schools and society, growth and development, learning strategies, school law, and the legal and professional responsibilities of the ESA-prepared school nurse. This hybrid course incorporates independent study and classroom instruction. Independent study course materials are to be completed and submitted to the faculty prior to the dates of classroom instruction for evaluation.
January 7-8, 2023
Delivered in person or via Zoom
The next session for the course will be offered via in-person or via virtual classroom using Zoom. This option allows for real time, face-to-face education, which is required by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction to count clock hours during the pandemic.
The course will include 24 hours (self-study and live sections) of instruction.
Instructor: Rebecca Doughty, MN, RN, CSRM
Cost: $450 (Note: We are unable to process purchase orders at this time.)
Registration closes at 12/30/2022 11:59:00 PM
Upon completion of this course participants should be able to:
- Analyze the role of the school nurse specialist, practitioner, collaborator, professional.
- Discuss legal and educational responsibilities that influence school health and services, including state learning goals and essential academic learning requirements.
- Explore environmental, socioeconomic, developmental and cultural variables affecting health status of the school-age child.
- Utilize knowledge of common health needs and problems of school-age population to develop strategies for planning and implementing programs of care.
- Discuss legal and professional issues related to documentation and provision of nursing care in the school setting.
- The WSU College of Nursing is approved as a provider of clock hours by the Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.