- PhD in Educational Leadership, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- MSN: Child, Adolescent & Family Health, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- BS in Nursing (RNB Program), College Our Lady of the Elms, Chicopee, MA
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Diploma, School of Nursing, Washington Hospital Center
Global health, child and adolescent health, curriculum development, organizational systems, and leadership
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Pediatrics, global health, population health
Resilience; global health and environment
Triangulated – mixed methods
- Uganda: Assessing the Health of Women of Child-Bearing Age and the Children for Developmental Health – The Impact of Heavy Metals
- WSU – Internal Research Grant: Assessing effects of heavy metals 2016 -2017
- FAAN (2007-current)
- WIN (2003 – current)
- American Nurses Association (1967-2013
- National Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Associates (1976–2012)
- National Association of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (1995 – 2007)
- International Nursing Association (1999 – 2004)
- Transcultural Nursing Association (2000 – 2003)
- South Carolina Coalition of Nurse Practitioners (1999 – 2003)
- Academy of Nurse Practitioners (1976 – 2004)
- Eastern and Southern Nursing Research Societies (1995 – 2003)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- WSU Vancouver Teaching Excellence Award, 2015-2016
- Finalist in Health Care Champion Award: San Diego, 2008
- Inducted into American Academy of Nursing as a Fellow (F.A.A.N.), 2007
- San Diego Life Time Achievement in Nursing Award, 2006
- Sigma Theta Tau Research and Mentorship Excellence Award, 2006
- USD Most Influential Faculty: MS/NP Progra, 2003 – 2004
- SC Nurses Association Excellence in Promotion of Nursing Practice Award, 2002
- SC Nurses Association Writing Excellence Award, 2001
- Outstanding Alumni Award, UCONN, 2001
- Teaching Excellence Award, Clemson School of Nursing, 2001
- Outstanding Nursing Faculty Award, UMASS, 1994
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Elms College, 1984
Hunter, A. (2018). Global health diplomacy at work in Uganda: Assessing and combating the effect of trace metals in the ground water on the child bearing health of women and the developmental health of children. Submitted January 2018 to Journal of Transcultural Nursing.
Hunter, A. & Bolender, J. (2016). What lies beneath? The effect of chemically contaminated water on the maternal health of women and the development of children in Uganda. Journal of Environmental Health.
Ar-yuwat, S., Clark, MJ, Hunter, A., James, K. (2013).
Determinants of physical activity in primary school students using the health belief model. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare
Tung, S & Hunter, A (2009). Gender differences in coping and anxiety for post coronary artery bypass grafting surgery patients in Taiwan. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care
Chou, L & Hunter, A. (2009). Factors affecting quality of life in Taiwanese survivors of childhood cancer. Journal of Advanced Nursing 65 (10), p 2131-2141
Tung, S. & Hunter, A. (2007). Coping, anxiety, and quality of life after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Journal of Advanced Nursing 61(6), 651-663.
Hunter, A., Salyers, V., McGuire, S. (2006). Cross-cultural validity and reliability of two quantitative instruments to measure health perception
and health control in men of Latino origin. Journal of Nursing Scholarship
Mayo, R., Hunter, A., Parker, V. (2002) Fatalism toward breast cancer among women of Ghana. Health Care for Women International
Hunter, A. A cross-cultural comparison of resilience in adolescents. (June, 2001). Journal of Pediatric Nursing 16 (3). 172 – 179.
Hunter, A. & McKenry, L. (2001). An advanced practice international health initiative: The Ghana Health Mission. Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners: International Journal of NPACE 5 (4). 240 – 245.
Hunter, A. & Chandler, G. (1999). Adolescent resilience. IMAGE: Journal of Nursing Scholarship 31 (3). 243-247.
St. Clair (Hunter), A. & McKenry, L. (May, 1999). Preparing culturally competent practitioners. Journal of Nursing Education. 38 (5). 228 – 234.
Refereed Non-Data Based
Hunter, A. (2016). Ugandan Americans in Giger & Davidhizar, Transcultural nursing: Assessment and intervention (7th Edition)
Hunter, A. (2015). Perspectives in global health care Chapter 4 in Stanhope & Lancaster Public health nursing (Ed 5)
Hunter A, Wilson L, Stanhope M., Hatcher, B., Hattar, M., Messias, DH, Powell, D. (2013). Global health diplomacy: an integrative review of the literature and implications for nursing. Nursing Outlook, 61(2), 85-92.
Hunter, A (2012). Ugandan Americans in Giger & Davidhizar, Transcultural nursing: Assessment and intervention (6th Edition)
Hunter, A. (2012). Perspectives in global health care in Stanhope & Lancaster Chapter 4, Public health nursing (Ed)
Hunter, A & Crabtree, K (2011). Advanced practice nursing & global health in Stanley (Ed) Advanced practice nursing: Emphasizing common roles
Bolender, J & Hunter A (winter 2010). The Uganda project: A cross-disciplinary student-faculty research and service project to develop a sustainable community development program, Council of Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 30 (2), pp 1-5
Burritt J, Wallace P, Steckel C, Hunter A (2007). Achieving quality and fiscal outcomes in patient care: the clinical mentor care delivery model. JONA, 37 (12), pp 558-563
Hunter, A., Denman-Vitale, S., Garzon, L., Jackson-Allen, P., Schumann, L. (2006). Global infections on our doorsteps: Recognition, management, prevention. The Nurse Practitioner.
Barron, F & Hunter, A. (October, 2004). Acculturation & adherence: Issues when working with patients of Mexican origin. Journal of Transcultural Nursing 15 (4), 331 – 337.
Crabtree, K & Hunter, A. (2004). Advanced practice nursing & global health. Chapter 14. In Advanced Practice Nursing: Emphasizing Common Roles, second edition (ed. Joan Stanley).
Baer, B., Hunter, A., Meehan, N., Mayo, R. (April, 2004). A quick reference to malaria treatment. American Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 8, 3, 51 – 53.
Hannah, S., Hunter, A., Kemper, K., & Willoughby, D. (2002). Big gains with little losses. Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners: The International Journal of NPACE, 6 (1), 11– 20
Hunter, A., Lusardi, P., Zucker, D., Jacelon, C. & Chandler, G. (2002) The creative process of finding meaning in the data. Journal of Qualitative Health Research, 12 (3), 388 – 398
Hunter, A. & Pulcini, J. (2002). Global health and nurse practitioner education. Monograph, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 249 – 259
Hunter, A. (1999, 2002, 2004, 2006). Health history and physical assessment cue cards for nurse practitioners. Fitzgerald Health Education Associates
Chase, S. & Hunter, A. (2002). Cultural and spiritual competence: Curricular guidelines. Monograph National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 19 – 28
Hunter, A. (2001). What is resilience? Contemporary Psychology: APA Review of Books46 (4), 420 – 422. Book Review of Resilience and development: Positive life adaptations by Glantz and Johnson
Hunter, A. (2001, 2005). Hypoglycemia and failure to thrive syndrome. Sigma Theta Tau On-line Case Studies.
Zaveruha, A., Bishop, D., St. Clair (Hunter), A., & Moreau, K. (1997). Rabies update for primary care practitioners, Journal of Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners 1 (6), 367 – 375.
Hunter, A. & Gibson, L. (2001). Cultural competence. SC Nurse.
Hunter, A. (1999). Does resilience hurt adolescents? PULSE Magazine for Health Professionals