The College of Nursing calls the combination of proof of licensure, immunizations, required trainings (e.g. CPNW Modules),and certifications (e.g., CPR) the “Clinical Passport.” This combination of requirements is part of our contractual agreement with agencies and therefore is a clinical requirement for every student.
Washington State University (WSU) College of Nursing requires proof of COVID vaccination for students with limited exemptions for medical reasons. Religious exemptions will not be accepted. Please view the Vaccination Admissions Policy. Even with an approved medical exemption/accommodation from WSU, students may still need to obtain approval from a clinical training site to engage in a clinical experience. Clinical training sites may deny an unvaccinated student’s request for an exemption, which may impact their progression in the program. Clinical training sites that have approved exemptions previously may discontinue exemptions or add specific booster requirements in the future at their own will anytime. Please contact Laura East-Pease (email@example.com), Director for Clinical Placements and Affiliations, for the process to obtain a medical exemption.
Newly admitted students will receive detailed information regarding requirements complete with instructions and deadlines. A more general list of requirements is below. Please use this as a basic preparation list of what you will need.
National Background Check (RCW 43.43)
- Requirement: A national background check screen is required upon admission and is included in the initial purchase of the CastleBranch immunization tracker.
- CastleBranch will submit your National Background Check for you. No further action is required.
- Page five of the National Background Check is your initial WSP/WATCH report. In your CastleBranch Documents tab, the PDF of your National Background check is available.
Annual Background Check – Annual WSP/ WATCH (RCW 43.43)
- Requirement: WSP WATCH background checks are required annually. To purchase the annual WATCH background check for $11, access the WSP/WATCH. website.
- Report: Log in to your WSP account to locate your finalized report. Save to your computer/device.
- Documentation: Enter the date of background check and submit the documentation of results to CastleBranch.
BLS / CPR
- Requirement: BLS Provider card from the American Heart Association (AHA) only. Any course other than BLS Provider does not meet this requirement (e.g. AHA Heartsaver CPR, ACLS Provider Card, RQI CPR & First Aid). The BLS Provider course must be renewed every two years with no lapse in certification.
- Documentation: Enter the expiration date and upload the BLS Provider card to CastleBranch.
Clinical Placements Northwest (CPNW) Learning Modules
- Requirement: Each July, CPNW releases training modules that are required for clinical placements on an annual basis.
- Documentation: Register or login to CPNW when directed by the Clinical Affairs team. Once the modules are complete, upload the one-page Module Report to CastleBranch by the deadline provided. Screenshots of the individual module scores are not accepted.
All immunizations require vaccine dates and official documentation from healthcare provider or immunization registry showing proof of vaccination and/or titer as required by each vaccine category. Certificate of immunization forms (tri-fold cards) completed by parents for K-12 school enrollment do not meet requirements. Submit all documents to CastleBranch as required for compliance.
- Hepatitis B – Completion of Hepatitis B (Hep B) vaccination series and a positive titer at least 6-8 weeks after completion of series is recommended. If Hep B titer is negative, students can get a challenge dose (#4) followed by another titer 6-8 weeks later. For the titer, proof of Hep B surface antibody (Hep B surface antibody or HBsAb) test result must be provided (not Hep B surface antigen (HBsAg) or Hep B Core Titer, which tests for active infection). Positive titer alone or with challenge dose record is acceptable if full Hep B vaccination records cannot be located.
- Influenza – Vaccine required by October 1 annually. Documentation of a flu vaccine administered during the current flu season (August – May).
- Measles (MMR) -Completion of 2 MMR vaccine series at appropriate interval OR positive titer to all three components of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella).
- TB Status – Documentation of an initial two-step Tuberculin skin test (TST) is required and documentation of annual one-step test (without lapse) since two-step was completed. Alternatively, a negative IGRA (T-Spot or QuantiFERON blood test) is acceptable in lieu of a two-step TST. For a two-step TST, the student first receives an initial PPD injection, followed by a reading 48-72 hours after the injection. Between 7-21 days after the first skin test injection, the student receives a second PPD injection, followed by a reading 48-72 hours after second injection. Documentation must show the dates of both injections and both test readings, indicating the correct interval of 7-21 days between the two TST’s. Annually thereafter, a one-step test or IGRA (QuantiFERON TB Gold or T-Spot) is required if it has been less than 12 months since last test. If it has been more than 12 months since last TST or IGRA test, a two-step TST or IGRA (QuantiFERON TB Gold or T-Spot) is required.
- If newly positive TST or TB IGRA results, students must follow up with healthcare provider (chest X-ray, symptoms check, and possible treatment documentation of absence of active TB disease) and complete the TB Surveillance for Individual with a Significant TB Skin Test (PDF) form.
- If history of positive TST, provide documentation of initial positive TST reading, chest X-ray documenting absence of TB, medical treatment (if any), and the TB Surveillance for Individual with a Significant TB Skin Test (PDF) form.
- Tdap – One time immunization with Td booster every 10 years.
- Varicella – Completion of two-dose series at appropriate interval OR submit a positive titer.
Clinical Placement Northwest (CPNW) Passport*
- Requirement: Please electronically complete the CPNW Clinical Passport form (PDF). Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
- Documentation: Send the complete file to the designated campus onboarding coordinator.
*Not all campuses submit a CPNW Passport file.
Other Important Information About Compliance Requirements
Allowing requirements to expire will result in a registration hold, a delay or cessation of rotations, inability to count hours for the course, and/or a Performance Improvement Plan.
WSU Staff are available to assist students with CastleBranch support or requirements.