Renee HoekselAdjunct Faculty Paid, VancouverProfessor Emeritus email@example.com LIBRARY BUILDING - WSU VANCOUVER 14204 NE SALMON CREEK AVE https://nursing.wsu.edu/directory/directory-profile/?nid=rhoeksel
Renee Hoeksel is currently a Professor in the Washington State University College of Nursing. Her clinical practice includes incorporating Best Practices in Nursing Staff Development in acute care facilities within the greater Southwest Washington/Portland Oregon area. Her past clinical practice included more than 30 years in adult critical care nursing. She currently serves on advisory boards to several Associate Degree and RN-BSN nursing programs. She is a member of the research team for the Academic Progression in Nursing Grants I & II funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation through the Washington Center for Nursing on Best Practices in Advancing RN-BSN Education In Washington State.
- PhD, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
- MSN, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
- BSN, Southern Oregon State College, Ashland, OR
Geriatrics, RN-BSN education, leadership in nursing education, acute care of diverse aging adults
- University of Great Falls RN-BSN Program Advisory Board, 2015
- American Nurses Association, 2015
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society: Delta Chi at Large and Beta Psi chapters, 2015
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2020 Inducted Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- Inducted as a Fellow in the NLN Academy for Nursing Education, 2017
- Washington State Nurses Association Hall of Fame 2016
- WSNA Nurse Educator of the Year 2015
- Honorary Member of CNEWS 2014
- Spokane Teachers Credit Union Undergraduate Faculty Excellence Award, College of Nursing, 2008
- Promoted to rank of Professor, 2004
- President’s Teaching Academy: Founding Member and Board of Directors, 2004
- Renee Hoeksel Nursing Leadership Scholarship established by students, alumni, and faculty “in recognition and honor of 13 years of service as Director of Nursing Programs at WSU Vancouver. WSU Vancouver Foundation, 2003
- Chancellor’s Award for Distinguished Service to WSU Vancouver, 2003
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Chi Chapter Award for Excellence in Nursing Management, 2002
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Geriatric Nursing, June 2001-November 2002, Hartford Center for Excellence in Geriatric Nursing, Oregon Health Sciences University
- College of Nursing Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2000
- Nursing Graduate Faculty Appointment, WSU, 1994
- YWCA Women of Leadership and Accomplishment, 1993
- College of Nursing Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1993
- Research Award, Greater Portland Chapter, American Association of Critical Care Nurses, 1991
- Research Award, Beta Psi Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau, January, 1990
- Summa Cum Laude (GPA 4.0), Southern Oregon State College, 1977
- First Award in Bedside Nursing, Emanuel Hospital School of Nursing, 1967
Hoeksel,R., Mason,A. and Dekker,L. (2017). Innovative Intensive RN-BSN Hybrid Model of Program Delivery. Communicating Nursing Research, 50, 45.
Girard, S., Hoeksel, R., Vandermause, R. and Eddy.L. (2017) Experiences of Registered Nurses Who Voluntarily Withdraw From Their BSN Program. The Journal of Nursing Education, 56(5), 260-265.
Eddy, L., Hoeksel, R., Fitzgerald, C., and Doutrich, D. (2017) Promising Practices in Advancement of Academic Nurse Educators Careers: Developing Scholarship from Program Grants. (in press Nursing Education Perspectives).
Hayes, V., Savage, L., Burton, D., and Hoeksel, R. (2017) Positioning a 5-state Nursing Workforce to Flourish by Advancing Baccalaureate Nursing Education. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 41(2), 170-177.
Hoeksel,R., Baroni,M., Choate,L. and Buenzli,W. (2016). Washington State Direct Transfer Agreement: Experiences of Early Adopting Schools. Communicating Nursing Research, 49, 51.
Doutrich,D., Dekker,L., Spuck,J., and Hoeksel,R. (2014). Identity, Ethics, and Cultural Safety: Strategies for Change. Whitireia Nursing & Health Journal;21, 15-21.
Gwinn,L., Marks,A., & Hoeksel, R. (2014). New nurses’ hopes and expectations transistioning into nursing practice. Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository. http: //hdl.handle.net/10755/313711.
Doutrich,D., Dekker,L., Rasmor, M., Hoeksel,R., Ludena, M., and Butler, L. (2014) Finding Safety and Authenticity: Becoming a Trasnformative Nurse Educator. Communicating Nursing Research, 47, 379.
Gwinn, L., Marks, A., and Hoeksel,R. (2013). New nurses’ hopes and expectations transitioning into nursing practice II. Communicating Nursing Research, 46, 518.
Dekker,L., Doutrich, D., Spuck, J., and Hoeksel, R. (2013). Requiring reflection: Abuse of power vs. Fostering professional growth. Communicating Nursing Research, 46, 549.