Anne Mason is the DNP Program Director, a Clinical Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) program in the College of Nursing. She obtained her Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree from University of Colorado-Denver where her quality improvement project focused on improving depression assessment and documentation of suicide risk in young adults accessing services in the college counseling center, a population she has served for over 5 years as a psychiatric ARNP. Dr. Mason has previously taught in the RN to BSN program at WSU College of Nursing and practiced as a psychiatric ARNP at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla part-time. Her scholarly interests are focused on depression care as well as teaching innovations. Her publications include a focus on improving psychiatric assessments. Her grant funded research includes a HRSA project to improve interprofessional education in graduate nursing education and a privately funded project to pilot an internet-based depression program.
- DNP, University of Colorado, Denver, CO
- MN – PMHNP Program, Washington State University College of Nursing, Tri-Cities, WA
- BSN, Intercollegiate College of Nursing, Spokane, WA
Depression care, teaching innovations
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- Walla Walla Community College Nursing Advisory Council
- Association of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses
- Outstanding Graduate Faculty, May 2014
- Mordecai Scholarship, December 2012
- University of Colorado Outstanding Graduate Student, May 2005
- Scottish Rite Graduate Fellowship Recipient, Aug. 2002 & 2003
- Earl and Lucille Blake Graduate Scholarship Recipient, Aug. 2002
- Outstanding RNB Student Award, May 2002
Mason, A., Cardell, R. & Armstrong, M. (2013, May). Malingering psychosis: Assessment and management. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care.
Dye, M., Rondeau, D., Mason, A., Obrien, R. (2013, July/August). Identification and Management of Factitious Disorder by Proxy. Journal of Nurse Practitioners.
Mason, A. (2011, Sept). Being a new member to AAPPN. AAPPN Newsletter.
Carollo, S. & Mason, A. “Educating nurse practitioners: Developing competency based curriculum, and bridging programs for shared learning opportunities”, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty conference, Baltimore, MD, April 2015.
Mason, A. “Depression and Suicide in the College Counseling Center: A Quality Improvement Project”, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty conference, Denver, CO, March 2014.
Rogers-Pitula, C., Cardell, R. & Mason, A. “Monitoring Levels for Suicidal Inpatients, What Works, What Doesn’t: Concerns and Recommendations”, American Association of Suicidology, Portland, OR, April, 2011.
Regional, State, Local:
Wilson, M., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Mason, A., Graham, K., Shuen, J.A., Wilson, M. “Testing an internet-based depression management program for people with chronic illnesses and depressive symptoms”, Inland Northwest Research Symposium, Spokane, WA, April 2016.
Mason, A. “Common Psychiatric Medications”, Kennewick Police Department Annual Crisis Response Team training, Kennewick, WA, May 9, 2011.
Mason, A., Cardell, R. & Armstrong, M. “Malingering Psychosis: Guidelines for Assessment and Management”, Association of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses, Seattle, WA, April, 2011.