The Seventh Dean of the College:
Dr. Joyce Griffin-Sobel
“I am deeply committed to interprofessional education and practice, as it is the foundation for moving healthcare towards improved quality and patient-centered care.”
During her first year as Dean at the WSU College of Nursing, she has led the strategic planning process, revamped the organizational structure, and worked to implement interprofessional education across all programs and campuses. Prior to WSU, she led the first major interprofessional initiative with Weill Cornell School of Medicine and Hunter Colleges of Nursing, Public Health and Social Work.
Dean Griffin-Sobel has been awarded more than $5 million dollars in grant funding, primarily in the areas of interprofessional education and technology in education. One example of the latter is that while at Hunter-Bellevue, she was the principal investigator for New York City Nursing Education Consortium in Technology, a HRSA-funded faculty development grant in teaching with technology, including simulation, informatics, telehealth, and mobile health.
A member of the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1988-1995, Griffin-Sobel served as director of clinical nursing research for the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps, where she developed the first program of clinical nursing research. She held the rank of lieutenant commander.
Dean Griffin-Sobel’s Professional Service includes:
- CCNE evaluator and team leader, 2011-present
- Middle States Evaluator, 2015 – present
- AACN Hot Issues Conference Subcommittee, 2014-2016
- Academy of Nursing Education Review Panel, National League for Nursing, 2011-present
Academic and Professional Honors
Dean Griffin-Sobel’s honors include:
- NINR Precision Medicine Institute, 2017
- NINR Big Data Institute, 2015
- SUNY Executive Leadership Academy, 2015
- AACN Wharton Executive Leadership Fellow, 2014
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2013
- Hunter College Hall of Fame for Outstanding Achievement in a Profession 2013
- Fellow, Academy of Nursing Education, 2008
- PhD in Nursing, New York University, 1988
- MS in Nursing, Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing, Hunter College, City of University of New York, 1981
- BSN, Herbert H. Lehman College, City University of New York, 1975