Samantha is passionate about improving nursing education and supporting nurses in the pursuit of lifelong learning.
She earned her doctorate from the Washington State University College of Nursing; Master in Nursing from University of Washington; BSN from San Diego State University: and ADN from Maric College in California.
Her interests are nursing education and leadership, built upon a strong foundation of 15 years of clinical experience in emergency and public health nursing, 15 years of clinical nursing instruction and teaching as a tenured faculty member. She is committed to building international academic partnerships and traveled to Costa Rica to collaborate on a global health project and nurse exchange program. She also traveled to Haiti a week after the 2010 earthquake and again in July 2010 to provide emergency and disaster response nursing care.
- PhD Nursing, Washington State University 2017
- MN, University of Washington 2010
- BSN, San Diego State University 2004
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor society
- National League for Nursing
- Participating member of the Washington State Nursing Action Coalition,
- Evaluator on the National Colleges of State Boards of Nursing National Simulation study at Washington State University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence National scholar
- Kaiser Permanente Health Foundation Grant-Awarded
- March of Dimes Nurse Educator of the Year-Nominated
- Kaiser Permanente Washington Nurse Educator of the Year-Nominated
Examining the value of RN-BSN education and examining academic structures that may inhibit associate degree nurses from continuing to achieve the BSN and higher degrees; intergenerational learning; team-based care.
Doctoral research: Experiences of registered nurses who voluntarily withdraw from BSN programs.
Published in the Journal of Nursing Education and Qualitative Health Research.
Girard, S. Hoeksel, R., Vandermause, R., Eddy, L. (2017). Experiences of registered nurses who voluntarily withdraw from their RN-to-BSN program. Journal of Nursing Education 56(5) 260-265. DOI: 10.3928/01484834-20170421-02.
Vandermause, R., Barg, F., Esmail, L., Edmundson, l., Girard, S., Perfetti, A. R. (2017). Qualitative Methods in Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. Qualitative Health Research 27(3) 434–442. DOI: 10.1177/1049732316668298