Dr. Shishani is interested in the control of tobacco products and smoking, specifically waterpipe use. Her research has focused on investigating physiological, psychological, behavioral, and symptom responses to waterpipe tobacco. Her past research explored the patterns and topography of waterpipe tobacco use; and if self-regulation and subjective symptom experiences lead to dependence. In 2013, she was awarded a K01 Mentored Research Scientist Development Award from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to investigate the role of contingency management in waterpipe smoking cessation.
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- MSN, Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- BSN, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- Role of contingency management in waterpipe smoking cessation. Kawkab Shishani, PhD, NIH/National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). K01DA037661,Training Grant.
- Physiological and subjective effects associated with nicotine containing hookah smoking. Kawkab Shishani, PhD; Donelle Howell, PhD. WSU Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Program (ADARP). OGRD # 114776-002.
Tobacco Treatment Specialist
- Editorial Board member, Thailand Journal of Nursing Science and Health, 2012-present
- Editorial Board member, Journal of Association of Arab Universities for Nursing, 2012
- Third World Organization for Women in Science (TWOWS), 2010-present
- Jordanian Nurses and Midwives Council, 1987-2009
- Jordanian Antismoking Society, 2003-2010
- American Public Health Professionals, 2009-2010
- American Muslim Health professional (AMPH) Organization, 2010-present
- Washington State Public Health Association, 2010
- International Epidemiological Association, 2008-2009
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Travel Award, The First International Conference on Waterpipe Tobacco Research, Abu Dhabi, UAE, NYU Abu Dhabi Institute, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, 2013
- Jan Holloway Excellence in Clinical Instruction Award, 2013
- Tobacco-Related Health Disparities Travel Award, Society for Research on Nicotine Tobacco (SRNT), 2013
- Travel Award, Tobacco or Health Conference, World Health Organization, 2009
- The World Bank Volunteer Service Award, 2003
- Zeming Zse Student Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2002
- Outstanding Service Award, Villanova University, 1999
Naghavi, M, Wang, H., Lozano, R., ….Shishani, K., ….Murray, C. (230 authors) (2014). Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.The Lancet. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61682-2. [Epub ahead of print].
Shishani, K., Howell, D., McPherson, S., & Roll, J. (2014). Young adult waterpipe smokers: Smoking behaviors and associated subjective and physiological effects. Submitted to Journal Addictive Behaviors, 39 (6), 1113–1119. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2014.03.010
Shishani, K., Stevens, K., Dotson, J., & Riebe, C. (2013). Improving nursing students’ knowledge using online education and simulation to help smokers quit. Nurse Education Today, 33(3), 210-3. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2012.03.002.
Shishani, K., Dajani, R., & Khader, Y. (2013). Hypertension risk assessment in the largest ethnic groups in Jordan. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 5(1):43-8. doi:10.1007/s10903-011-9533-y.
Haddad, L., El-Shahawy, O., Shishani, K., Madanat, H., & Alzyoud, S. (2012). Cigarette use attitudes and effects of acculturation among Arab immigrants in USA: A preliminary study. Health, 4(10), 785-793. doi:10.4236/health.2012.410122.
Sohn, M., Shishani, K., Okida, A., & Sivarajan Froelicher, E. (2012). Approaches to smoking cessation in cardiovascular population (pp. 345-369). In E. Dornelas (Ed.). Stress Proof the Heart. New York, NY: Springer.
Madan, S., Shishani, K., & Sivarajan Froelicher, E. (2012). Psychosocial concerns and interventions for patients and their identified support to help cope with acute manifestations of advanced cardiovascular diseases.” Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 27(2), 132-46. doi:10.1097/JCN.0b013e318239f647.
Shishani, K., Roll, J. & Armstrong, M. Hookah use: going down in smoke (2012). Journal of Addictions Nursing, 3(2), 112-5. doi: 10.3109/10884602.2012.669417
Deaton, C., Sivarajan Froelicher, E., Wu, LH., Ho, C., Shishani, K., Jaarsma, T. (2011). The global burden of cardiovascular disease. Journal Cardiovascular Nursing, 26 (4Suppl), S5-14.doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e318213efcf.
Shishani, K. & Sivarajan Froelicher E. (2009). Global cardiovascular health (pp. 929-934). S. Woods, E. Sivarajan Froelicher, S. Underhill Motzer, & E. Bridges. Cardiac Nursing (6th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Shishani, K., Nawafleh, H., & Sivarajan Froelicher, E. (2008). Jordanian nurses’ and physicians’ learning needs for promoting smoking cessation. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 23(2), 79-83. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7117.2008.07745.x.