Jo Ann Dotson’s nursing career includes inpatient and outpatient staff and leadership positions in maternal child health settings. She served as the Title V Maternal Child Health Director for the state of Montana until 2010. Jo Ann was a faculty member at Montana State University and Carroll College in Montana prior to her faculty position at Washington State University. She is part of the research faculty for the Rural Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment program at WSU, which is led by Dr. John Roll. The program’s objective is to develop, modify and implement evidence based treatments for substance abuse and mental illness for use in rural settings. Jo Ann’s areas of interests include public health, with a special focus on the maternal child health population and rural health promotion. Her dissertation topic was evaluation of home visiting services for high risk pregnant women.
- PhD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
- MSN, University of Texas, Austin, TX
- BSN, Baylor University, Waco, TX
- It’s About Two Baby and You: iPad Evaluation and Expansion
- PCAP Pilot Investigation of CM for Smoking Among Pregnant Women Postpartum
- The Effect of Contingency Management and Educational Entertainment on Tobacco Abstinence in Postpartum Women Study
- Tobacco Cessation in WIC – The Baby and WE Program
Public health promotion and access to EBP in rural and frontier settings, with a special focus on the maternal child health population
- March of Dimes
– Washington Statewide Chapter – Public Affairs Committee, 2012
– Spokane Division – Board of Directors, 2012
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing – Delta Chi Chapter Board Member, 2011 – present
- Association of Community Health Nurse Educators, 2010 – present
- Council for Advancement of Nursing Science, 2010 – present
- Washington State Public Health Association, 2010 – present
- Western Institute of Nursing, 2010 – present
- Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2008 – present
- Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Executive Fellow Alumni Organization, 2001 cohort
- Association of Maternal Child Health Programs, 1995 – present
HONORS AND AWARDS
- HRSA/MCHB Champions Award in the Field of Maternal Child Health in Montana, 2010
- March of Dimes Public Policy Award for the Big Sky Chapter, 2008
- March of Dimes Graduate National Nursing Scholarship Recipient, 2002
Cheek, R., Dotson J., Ogilvie, L. (2016). Continuing Education for Mentors and a Mentoring Program for RN-to-BSN Students. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. (in press).
Dotson, J. A. W., Roll, J. M., Packer, R. R., Lewis, J. M., McPherson, S., & Howell, D. (2014). Urban and Rural Utilization of Evidence-Based Practices for Substance Use and Mental Health Disorders. Journal of Rural Health, 30(3), 292-299. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12068
Mukakalisa, I., Bindler, R., Allen, C., & Dotson, J. (2014). Cervical cancer in developing countries: effective screening and preventive strategies with an application in Rwanda. Health Care For Women International, 35(7-9), 1065-1080. doi: 10.1080/07399332.2014.909433
Dotson, J. A. (2013). Improving tobacco cessation for pregnant & postpartum women. Communicating Nursing Research, 46, 606-606.
Shishani, K., Stevens, K., Dotson, J., & Riebe, C. (2013). Improving nursing students’ knowledge using online education and simulation to help smokers quit. Nurse Education Today, 33(3), 210-213. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.03.002
Doutrich, D., & Dotson, J. (2012). The future of the population-focused, public health clinical nurse specialist. Nursing Clinics of North America, 47(2), 305-313, vii-viii. doi: 10.1016/j.cnur.2012.02.002
Dotson, J. A. W. (2011). Home visiting in Montana: effects on LBW and premature births and medicaid costs. Communicating Nursing Research, 44, 281-281.
Taren, D., Varela, F., Dotson J.A., Eden, J., Egger, M., Harper, J., Johnson, R. Kennedy, K., Kent, H., Muramoto, M., Peacock, J.C., Roberts, R., Sjolander, S., Streeter, N. Velarde, L. Hill, A. (2011). Developing a University-Workforce Partnership to Address Rural and Frontier MCH Training Needs: The Rocky Mountain Public Health Education Consortium (RMPHEC). Maternal Child Health Journal. Oct; Vol. 15 (7), pp. 845-50.
Dotson, J., Henderson, D., Magraw, M. (2003). A public health program for preventing fetal alcohol syndrome among women at risk in Montana. Neurotoxicology and Teratology. 25, 757 – 761.
Dotson, J.W. (2002). Squeezing the Turnip – Equitable Distribution of Funding to Provide Maternal and Child Health Services in Rural America. Nursing Leadership Forum, 7 (1), 16-19.
Butterfield, P., Malliarakis, K., & Dotson, J.W. (2002). Billings’ Methamphetamine Epidemic: Nursing Leaders Frame A Public Health And Environmental Health Problem. Nursing Leadership Forum, 7 (1), 8-11.