Jo Ann Walsh Dotson is an Associate Professor and Director of the BSN Program at Washington State University College of Nursing in Spokane, WA. Her research interests include public health, with a special focus on the maternal child health population and rural health promotion. Her dissertation topic was evaluation of home visiting services for high risk pregnant women. Dr. Dotson’s career includes staff and leadership positions in maternal child health settings, including nursery, NICU, PICU, ER and public health settings in Texas, Colorado and Massachusetts and Montana. She worked in Montana state government from 1990 – 2010, serving in the Maternal Child Health Bureau and Primary Care Office and for the last 13 years as the Title V Maternal Child Health Director. Dr. Dotson was a faculty member at Montana State University and Carroll College before moving to Washington state.
- PhD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
- MSN, University of Texas, Austin, TX
- BSN, Baylor University, Waco, TX
- It’s About Two Baby and You: iPad Evaluation and Expansion
- PCAP Pilot Investigation of CM for Smoking Among Pregnant Women Postpartum
- The Effect of Contingency Management and Educational Entertainment on Tobacco Abstinence in Postpartum Women Study
- Tobacco Cessation in WIC – The Baby and WE Program
Public health promotion and access to EBP in rural and frontier settings, with a special focus on the maternal child health population
- Washington State Public Health Association, 2010 – present, Board of Directors – 2018
- March of Dimes – Washington Statewide Chapter – Public Affairs Committee, 2012 – 2017
- & Spokane Division Board of Directors, 2012 – 2017
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing – Delta Chi Chapter Board Member, 2011 – 2015, Treasurer 2017 – present
- Association of Community Health Nurse Educators, 2010 – present
- Council for Advancement of Nursing Science, 2010 – 2016
- Western Institute of Nursing, 2010 – present
- Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Executive Fellow Alumni Organization, 2001 cohort
- Association of Maternal Child Health Programs, 1995 – 2014
HONORS AND AWARDS
- HRSA/MCHB Champions Award in the Field of Maternal Child Health in Montana, 2010
- March of Dimes Public Policy Award for the Big Sky Chapter, 2008
- March of Dimes Graduate National Nursing Scholarship Recipient, 2002
Erickson, N., Gartstein, M. & Dotson, J. (2017). Review of Prenatal Maternal Mental Health and the Development of Infant Temperament. JOGNN: Journal Of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 46(4), 588-600. doi:10.1016/j.jogn.2017.03.008.
Dotson, J., Pineda, R. Cylcowski, H. & S. Amiri. (2017). Development and Evaluation of an iPad Application to Promote Knowledge of Tobacco Use and Cessation by Pregnant Women. Nursing For Women’s Health, 21(3), 174–185.
Dotson, J. A. W., Nelson, L. A., Young, S. L., Buchwald, D., & Roll, J. (2017). Use of cell phones and computers for health promotion and tobacco cessation by American Indian college students in Montana. Rural And Remote Health, 17(1), 4014-4014.
Risse, C., Walsh Dotson, J. A., Smart, D., & Brinker, D. (2016). Rural Nursing and Evaluation of Pediatric Outreach Program. Online Journal Of Rural Nursing & Health Care, 16(2), 86-111. doi:10.14574/ojrnhc.v16i2.411
Cheek, R., Dotson J., Ogilvie, L. (2016). Continuing Education for Mentors and a Mentoring Program for RN-to-BSN Students. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. (in press).
Dotson, J. A. W., Roll, J. M., Packer, R. R., Lewis, J. M., McPherson, S., & Howell, D. (2014). Urban and Rural Utilization of Evidence-Based Practices for Substance Use and Mental Health Disorders. Journal of Rural Health, 30(3), 292-299. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12068
Mukakalisa, I., Bindler, R., Allen, C., & Dotson, J. (2014). Cervical cancer in developing countries: effective screening and preventive strategies with an application in Rwanda. Health Care For Women International, 35(7-9), 1065-1080. doi: 10.1080/07399332.2014.909433
Dotson, J. A. (2013). Improving tobacco cessation for pregnant & postpartum women. Communicating Nursing Research, 46, 606-606.
Shishani, K., Stevens, K., Dotson, J., & Riebe, C. (2013). Improving nursing students’ knowledge using online education and simulation to help smokers quit. Nurse Education Today, 33(3), 210-213. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.03.002
Doutrich, D., & Dotson, J. (2012). The future of the population-focused, public health clinical nurse specialist. Nursing Clinics of North America, 47(2), 305-313, vii-viii. doi: 10.1016/j.cnur.2012.02.002
Dotson, J. A. W. (2011). Home visiting in Montana: effects on LBW and premature births and medicaid costs. Communicating Nursing Research, 44, 281-281.
Taren, D., Varela, F., Dotson J.A., Eden, J., Egger, M., Harper, J., Johnson, R. Kennedy, K., Kent, H., Muramoto, M., Peacock, J.C., Roberts, R., Sjolander, S., Streeter, N. Velarde, L. Hill, A. (2011). Developing a University-Workforce Partnership to Address Rural and Frontier MCH Training Needs: The Rocky Mountain Public Health Education Consortium (RMPHEC). Maternal Child Health Journal. Oct; Vol. 15 (7), pp. 845-50.
Dotson, J., Henderson, D., Magraw, M. (2003). A public health program for preventing fetal alcohol syndrome among women at risk in Montana. Neurotoxicology and Teratology. 25, 757 – 761.
Dotson, J.W. (2002). Squeezing the Turnip – Equitable Distribution of Funding to Provide Maternal and Child Health Services in Rural America. Nursing Leadership Forum, 7 (1), 16-19.
Butterfield, P., Malliarakis, K., & Dotson, J.W. (2002). Billings’ Methamphetamine Epidemic: Nursing Leaders Frame A Public Health And Environmental Health Problem. Nursing Leadership Forum, 7 (1), 8-11.