Dr. Janet Purath earned a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from Jamestown College, a Master’s of Science in Nursing and Primary Care from Indiana University and a Doctorate from the University of Illinois at Chicago. She completed Postdoctoral Fellowships in research in physical activity and older adults at Arizona State University and from the John A Hartford Foundation. She served as a faculty member in the School of Nursing at Purdue University. Her teaching experiences are in health assessment, clinical supervision, primary care of the older adult, and nursing research. Her clinical practice includes care of adults in the intensive care unit, home health nursing, women’s health, and rural primary healthcare. She is currently an Associate Professor at the College of Nursing at Washington State University. Dr. Purath’s work focuses on chronic disease prevention, physical activity, physical function in older adults, women’s health.
- PhD, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- MS, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
- BS, Jamestown College, Jamestown, ND
Geriatrics, physical activity, health behavior change, and rural health.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Geriatrics, adult health, and primary care.
- Gerontological Society of America
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Western Institute of Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Dermatology Nursing Association 30th National Meeting. Third place research poster award, 2012
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Chi Research Award,2010
- John A. Hartford Foundation Claire M. Fagin Fellow, 2009
- Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chi. Delta Chi Travel Award, 2009
- Adjunct Faculty: Arizona State University College of Nursing & Health Innovation, 2009
- Center for Women’s Health and Gender Research. University of Washington Summer Research Institute, fellow, 2006 & 2008
- National Institutes of Health. Office of Behavioral and Social Science Research 10th Anniversary: Celebrating a Decade of Progress and Promise. Travel Awardee, 2006
- Western Institute of Nursing Best Poster Award Winner: Runner Up, 2006
- Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chi. Laura C. Dustan Research Award, 2005
- Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Omicron. Award of Excellence in Clinical Practice, 2004
- Midwest Nursing Research Society. Women’s Health Research Section. Young Investigator Award, 2003
Coyner, T. & Purath, J. (2018). Dietary influences on acne vulgaris: Myth or fact? Journal of the Dermatologic Nurses’ Association. In press.
Purath, J. & Coyner, T. (2017). Pharmacologic therapy for acne: A primer for primary care. Clinician Review. Available at: http://www.mdedge.com/clinicianreviews /article/147617/dermatology/pharmacologic-therapy-acne-primer-primary-care
Fitzgerald, C., Purath, J., Van Son, C., Duvall, D., Eddy, L. (2017). A Course-Based Approach to the DNP Project: Supporting Student Growth from Concept to Completion. Nurse Educator, 42(5). doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000356
Ward, L.D., Purath, J., & Barbosa-Leiker, C. (2016). Assessment of genomic literacy among baccalaureate nursing students in the United States: A feasibility study. Nurse Educator, 41(6) 313-317. doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000272
Ward, L.D., Bray, B.S, Odom-Maryon T., Richardson, B., Purath, J., Woodard, L. Kobayaski, R., Beary, J. Willson, M.N. Clauser, J.M., Fitzgerald, C. (2016). Development, Implementation and Evaluation of a Longitudinal Interprofessional Education Project. Journal of Interprofessional Education, 3, 35-41. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.xjep.2016.04.003
Purath, J., Keller, C., McPherson, S., & Ainsworth, B. (2013). A randomized controlled trail of an office-based physical activity and physical fitness intervention for older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 34, 204-211.
Purath, J. Keck, A., Fitzgerald, C. (2013). Motivational Interviewing for Older Adults in Primary Care: A Systematic Review. Geriatric Nursing, 34, 204-211.
Coyner, T., & Purath, J. (2012). Improving Treatment Adherence in Patients with Atopic Dermatitis. Journal of the Dermatology Nurses’ Association, 4(6), 374-377. DOI: 10.1097JDN.013e318274b4a9
Purath, J., Corbett, C., & Van Son, C. (2011). Physical Activity: Exploring views of Older Russian-Speaking Slavic Immigrants. Nursing Research & Practice. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/nrp/aip/507829/
Purath, J., & Shaw, M. (2010). Physical activity across the lifespan. Epidemiology, the internet and global health. http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/
Buchholz, S., Purath, J., & Rittenmeyer, L. (2009). How outpatient nurse practitioners define the barriers and facilitators to physical activity counseling. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 5(9), 678-683.
Purath, J., Buchholz, S., & Kark, D. (2009). Physical fitness assessment of community-dwelling older adults. Journal of the American Academy Nurse Practitioners, 21(2), 101-107.
Katz, J. R., Purath, J., Bayne.T., Allen, C., Wintersteen. L., & McFadden, S. (2008). What do students learn? Evaluating a conceptual model-based assignment. Nurse Educator, 33 (4), 172-176.
Buchholz, S., & Purath, J. (2007). Physical activity and physical fitness counseling patterns of adult nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy Nurse Practitioners, 19, 86-92.
Purath, J. (2006). Comparison of the traits of active and inactive women. Journal of the American Academy Nurse Practitioners, 18(5), 234-240.
Purath, J. & Miller, A. (2006). Predictors of Improvement in Women’s Physical Activity. Women & Health, 42(3), 57-7.