Dr. Garzon is a certified Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and Pediatric Primary Care Mental Health Specialist with clinical experience in primary care, agent care, and convenient care. Her interests include: child health, pediatric primary care mental health, pediatric primary care, preschool injury prevention, and improving patient outcomes.
- PhD in Nursing, University of Missouri- St. Louis
- MSN, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, University of Florida Gainesville, Florida
- Master of Psychiatric Epidemiology, Washington University School of Medicine St. Louis, Missouri
- BSN, University of Miami, Florida
Research and scholarly interests include: improving child and family health outcomes in primary care settings; improving the primary care management of pediatric mental health disorders; and preschool injury prevention.
Public heath (primarily case control and cohort) studies, and quantitative analysis.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Pediatrics, pediatric mental health, advanced health assessment, pediatric primary care, epidemiology, and nursing accreditation.
- National Child and Maternal Health Education Program Coordinating Committee member, 2014- present
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 2007- present
- American Academy of Pediatrics Affiliate member, 2001- present
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, 1994- present
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, 1989- present
HONORS & AWARDS
- Making A Difference Excellence Alumni Award, University of Missouri, St. Louis, 2016
- Finalist, March of Dimes Missouri Nurse of the Year, Advanced Practice, 2014
- Fellow, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, inducted 2009
- Appointed to the University of Missouri Leadership Development Program for the 2008-2009 academic year, University of Missouri System.
- PNP of the Year, 2008, St. Louis Area Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners.
- Appointed as a New Faculty Teaching Scholar for the 2005-2006 academic year, University of Missouri System.
- Mary Reardon Castles Research Graduate Award recipient, University of Missouri- St. Louis, Barnes College of Nursing and Health Studies, 2002.
- Awarded Section membership American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Injury and Poison Prevention, 2001.
Garzon, DL (2017). Developmental Management of Adolescents. In Pediatric Primary Care 6th Ed (Burns, Brady, Dunn, Starr, Blosser & Garzon Eds), pages 121-139, Elsevier.
Garzon, DL (2017). Coping and Stress Tolerance: Mental Health and Illness. In Pediatric Primary Care 6th Ed (Burns, Brady, Dunn, Starr, Blosser & Garzon Eds), pages 355-385, Elsevier.
Garzon, DL (2017). Developmental Management in Pediatric Primary Care. In Pediatric Primary Care 5th Ed (Burns, Brady, Dunn, Starr, Blosser & Garzon Eds), pages 46-60, Elsevier.
Garzon, DL (2016). Common presentations in pediatric primary care: It’s usually not a zebra (podium presentation). American Association of Nurse Practitioners 2016 National Conference in San Antonio, TX. June 22, 2016.
Garzon, DL (2016). Common presentations in pediatric primary care: It’s usually not a zebra (podium presentation). National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners 37th National Conference on Pediatric Health Care in Atlanta, GA, March 17, 2016.
Garzon, DL (2016). ABCDs of Primary Care Mental Health: Diagnosing and management of pediatric Autism, Anxiety, ADHD, Bipolar Disease, Compulsions and Depression (intensive workshop). National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners 37th National Conference on Pediatric Health Care in Atlanta, GA, March 19, 2016.
DL (2015). New onset hypertension in a previously healthy five year-old boy: Diagnosis of primary versus secondary hypertension. The Nurse Practitioner,40(2), 13-16 .
Berry, AD, Garzon, DL, Mack, P, Kanwischer, KZ, Beck, DG (2014). Implementing an early childhood screening and surveillance program in primary care settings: lessons learned from a project in Illinois. Journal of Pediatric Healthcare, 28, 516-525.
Garzon, DL, Kempker T, Piel P (2011). Primary care management of food allergy and food intolerance. The Nurse Practitioner, 36(12), 34- 40.
Garzon, DL, Figgemeier, M (2011). Dying to be thin: Identifying and managing eating disorders. The Nurse Practitioner, 36(10), 45-51.