WSU COLLEGE OF NURSING | CONVOCATION
May 2018 Convocation
When: May 3, 2018
Where: Fox Theater, 1001 W. Sprague Ave., Spokane (intersection of Sprague Avenue and Monroe Street)
Time: 6 p.m.
What is Convocation?
Convocation is a celebration of the College of Nursing, including undergraduate pinning and, this year for the first time, hooding of doctoral students.
How is that different from Commencement?
Commencement is the graduation ceremony for the entire university. It’s where academic degrees and diplomas are awarded, as well as academic honors. Information on WSU Spokane Commencement, including deadlines, is available at: https://spokane.wsu.edu/studentaffairs/commencement/
With changes to the WSU College of Nursing’s Convocation in Spokane, we know students and their families have questions, so we’ve tried to anticipate some of those questions here. We’ll be updating the FAQs as more information becomes available, or in response to specific questions from students and families. Please send questions to Director of Communications Addy Hatch, at email@example.com
- Academic robes
- Undergraduate and graduate students will wear academic robes for Convocation in Spokane. These are the same robes that will be worn for WSU Spokane Commencement the next day. Robes should be ordered through the Bookie by April 19. For information and to order, visit the Bookie, 410 E. Spokane Falls Blvd. » Order form
- Please let us know on the RSVP form if you or your family members need accommodation.
- Honor Cords
- Undergraduate students are eligible for honor cords if your GPA is 3.5 or higher at the end of Fall 2017 term and you have earned 30 WSU credits. You are welcome to wear the honor cords at Convocation. Spokane and Yakima students can pick up their cords after practicum from the student services office, and Tri-Cities students should contact Kay Olson. All other academic honors will be celebrated at Commencement.
- Graduate students will be hooded at Convocation, and again the next day at Commencement if they choose to take part in both celebrations. Hooding at Convocation is more personal, family-and-friends oriented event than the larger WSU Health Sciences celebration. Hooding at Commencement gives academic recognition to nursing as an equal member of the broader professional health sciences community.
- Length of Ceremony
- The Convocation ceremony is expected to take between 1 hour and 1.5 hours, followed by a reception in the Fox Theater.
- There are surface parking lots and the Parking West parking garage available nearby for students and their guests. Metered parking is also available. Please note, meters must be paid through 7 p.m. For a list of parking options please visit http://foxtheaterspokane.org/parking/.
- After Image Visual Services will photograph graduates during the Convocation ceremony and immediately after they exit the stage. There is no obligation to order these photos, which will be online within five days of Convocation. Ordering can be done online, over the phone, or via email. In addition, a space in the Fox Theater lobby will be set up with a backdrop for families to take photos.
- Students will be pinned by a member of the WSU College of Nursing faculty. Students may bring no more than two adults onstage with them for their pinning ceremony. Students and their guests will go on-stage and off-stage using stairs; please let us know on the RSVP form if you or your guests need accommodation. Students will vote on four faculty members who will perform the pinning ceremony. Family members or loved ones who are nurses are allowed to pin students, though the limit is still two people accompanying the student onstage. Please note on the RSVP form if this is the case.
- The College of Nursing will provide every student with a pin to be used in Convocation. Students also have the option of ordering a sterling silver or gold pin from Jewelry Design Center, with an April 20 deadline to order, using this form.
- The College of Nursing will host a reception for students and families immediately following Convocation in the Founders Gallery of the Fox Theater. Please RSVP (form below) by April 19 for the number of family members you expect to attend.
- Please submit the RSVP FORM before APRIL 19, 2018, letting us know if you will be participating in Convocation and the number of people in your group.