December 2018 Convocation
When: December 6, 2018
Where: Fox Theater, 1001 W. Sprague Ave., Spokane (intersection of Sprague Avenue and Monroe Street)
Time: 6 p.m.
What is Convocation?
Convocation is a celebration of the College of Nursing, including undergraduate pinning and, this year for the first time, hooding of doctoral students.
How is that different from Commencement?
Commencement is the graduation ceremony for the entire university. It’s where academic degrees and diplomas are awarded, as well as academic honors. Information on WSU’s Fall Commencement ceremony in Pullman, including deadlines, is available at: https://commencement.wsu.edu/fall/checklist/
With changes to the WSU College of Nursing’s Convocation in Spokane, we know students and their families have questions, so we’ve tried to anticipate some of those questions here. Please send any additional questions to Sarah Wilson, Director of Academic and Student Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic robes
- Undergraduate and graduate students will wear academic robes for Convocation in Spokane. These are the same robes that will be worn for WSU Commencement on Dec. 8. More information will be posted on ordering robes in coming weeks, so be sure to check back.
- Please let us know on the RSVP form if you or your family members need accommodation.
- Honor Cords
- Undergraduate students are eligible for honor cords if your GPA is 3.5 or higher at the end of Spring 2018 term and you have earned 30 WSU credits. You are welcome to wear the honor cords at Convocation. All other academic honors will be celebrated at Commencement.
- Graduate students will be hooded at Convocation, and again at Commencement if they choose to take part in both celebrations. Hooding at Convocation is more personal, family-and-friends oriented event than the larger WSU celebration. Hooding at Commencement gives academic recognition to nursing as an equal member of the broader professional health sciences community.
- Length of Ceremony
- The Convocation ceremony is expected to take between 1 hour and 1.5 hours.
- There are surface parking lots and the Parking West parking garage available nearby for students and their guests. Metered parking is also available. Please note, meters must be paid through 7 p.m. For a list of parking options please visit http://foxtheaterspokane.org/parking/.
- After Image Visual Services will photograph graduates during the Convocation ceremony and immediately after they exit the stage. There is no obligation to order these photos, which will be online within five days of Convocation. Ordering can be done online, over the phone, or via email. In addition, a space in the Fox Theater lobby will be set up with a backdrop for families to take photos.
- Students will be pinned by a member of the WSU College of Nursing faculty. Students may bring no more than two people onstage with them for their pinning ceremony. Some students have asked whether their children can be involved. The answer is yes, though the total number of people who can accompany you onstage is still two. And be aware that those two guests will be lining up separately from graduates and meeting you onstage, in case that’s an issue for a child. Family members or loved ones who are nurses are allowed to pin students, though the limit is still two people accompanying the student onstage. Please note on the RSVP form if this is the case. You’ll be given two tickets for assigned seats on the main floor of the Fox auditorium, for the two people who’ll accompany you onstage. If you’re bringing a larger group, they most likely won’t be able to sit with those two people. Please assure your guests that there are wonderful views from all seats in the Fox, and that there will be ample time for congratulations, hugs, and mingling at the reception immediately following the ceremony. Finally, students and their guests will need to go on-stage and/or off-stage using stairs; please let us know on the RSVP form if you or your guests need accommodation.
- More information on nursing pins to come, please check back.
- We will have Convocation practice on Dec. 6 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Fox Theater. Plan on spending an hour there, and please make it a priority to be there.
- Please submit the RSVP FORM before OCTOBER 1, 2018, letting us know if you will be participating in Convocation and the number of people in your group.