BSN steps to apply
The BSN is currently offered at WSU Spokane, WSU Tri-Cities, and in Yakima.
Where to Start
- Applicants should be advised by their pre-nursing advisor at their respective school.
- The college accepts transfer students, but preference is given to students from 1 of the consortium institutions—Eastern Washington University, Washington State University, or Whitworth University. All others will be considered transfer students.
- If you are already an RN and want to pursue your BSN, look at our RN-BSN program option.
Meet the Admission Criteria
- All applicants are required to take the TEAS test (Test of Essential Academic Skills). Visit our TEAS page for information on what to expect and for a list of test dates, times, locations, and deadlines. Scores are good for 1 year from your anticipated start date.
- Applicants must be at junior standing (60 semester credits/90 quarter credits).
- 50 hours of work/volunteer experience.
(Please note: Sacred Heart and Holy Family cannot accommodate short-term volunteer opportunities or job shadowing. For long-term volunteer opportunities, contact their Volunteer Services departments.)
Download experience log form
- Favorable evaluation of all information in the application file by the Undergraduate Admissions and Progression Committee at the College of Nursing.
- WSU University Common Requirements (UCORE) or equivalent course work must be completed prior to nursing admission.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in all college course work.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in College of Nursing’s prerequisite courses.
- Minimum grade for each prerequisite course – 2.0 (pass/satisfactory grades and CLEP scores are not accepted).
- Prerequisite courses may be repeated. However, repeated classes planned or in progress at the time of application must be completed as planned. If you want to withdraw from the repeated course, please contact your Nursing advisor immediately for advisement.
- No more than 3 prerequisite courses may be in progress during the final quarter/semester of lower-division requisite course work.
- All course work must be completed by the end of the spring term for fall admission, or by the end of fall term for spring admission.
- Virtual/online labs are not accepted. All lab courses must be taken in an on-campus format.
Apply to the BSN Program
To apply to the College of Nursing, you must use NursingCAS, the nursing profession’s online application service.
Please refer to the NursingCAS application instructions for more information.
- The College of Nursing uses a Centralized Application Service (CAS). All students applying to the BSN program apply through NursingCAS. The fee is $45.
- Applicants select the 1 campus they plan on attending: Spokane, Tri-Cities, or Yakima.
- Current home and email addresses must be included in your CAS application.
- The application process opens twice a year. Please refer to our BSN application & admission timeline for more information.
- All official transcripts must be received by NursingCAS by the designated deadline. Please refer to our BSN application & admission timeline for more information.
- DO NOT apply to WSU at this time. If you are admitted to the nursing program, you will receive instructions to apply to the University at that time.
- Apply for Financial Aid. Deadline to apply is January 31 for the following academic year. WSU FAFSA code is 003800.
- You will be notified if you have been selected for the interview process after submitting your application. Please refer to our BSN application & admission timeline for more information on when to expect this notification.
- If you do not complete all requirements in your last quarter or semester prior to admission with a 2.0 grade or higher, or if you fail a prerequisite course, your application will not be considered.
- The College of Nursing does not review letters of recommendation or personal essays. Please do not send them to NursingCAS or to the College of Nursing.
You’ve Been Invited for an Interview. Now What?
- If you are invited for a personal interview, you must participate in it to complete the application process. Telephone interviews are not accepted.
Congratulations! You’ve Been Admitted. What’s Next?
- Apply directly to WSU.
- Refer to the Admitted Students section on our website for information on what’s next in the admission process. This site includes orientation information, a list of nursing requirements, important dates and deadlines, and additional resources you will need during the admission process.
- Nursing Prerequisites and WSU requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Program Overview
- Program Outcomes
- Program Cost
- Academic Advising
- Course Work
- Honors Direct Admit Program
- TEAS Test
- Application Deadlines
- Steps to Apply
- Application & Admission Timeline
- Apply Online
- Application Instructions for NursingCAS
Questions? Ask a program coordinator