Laura Hahn is a Senior Instructor/Advisor for the WSU College of Nursing in Yakima. She has many years’ experience teaching clinical courses in community health, acute care and mental health. She has also taught theory courses in Community Health Nursing. Her clinical practice has included nursing in a variety of settings including Public Health, Maternal/Child Health, Home Health and Hospice, Palliative Care, Occupational Health, and Acute Care. She has carried out research in the area of drug adherence with HIV clients, treatment effectiveness of substance abuse in pregnant women, analysis of the First Step Program in Yakima County for the Department of Health, and Environmental Health. She has assisted the University of Washington on a EPA grant, working on insertion points on pesticides exposure in nursing and medical school curriculum. She is actively involved with International travel and has accompanied health care teams to El Salvador, Peru, and the Dominican Republic.
- Post-Master’s, Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA
- MS, University of Portland, Portland, OR
- BSN, Washington State University, Spokane, WA
Population based health, environmental health, occupational medicine, Global Health
- YVNPA Yakima Chapter, 2009-present
- AANP, 2004-present
- Sigma Theta Tau, 1992-present
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Received the Excellence in Community Service from Delta Chi Chapter-at-Large March 30, 2016.
- Outstanding Mentorship Award/WSU Woman’s Leadership Alliance Forum
- WSU Faculty Service Award, 2007
- Dean’s Award, WSU, 2007
- Nurse Excellence in Education, WSNA, 2004
- Nurse Excellent Award for Management, Sigma Theta Tau, 2001
- Excellence in Nursing Leadership, WSNA, 2001
Schwartz, C., Carollo, C., Hahn, L., Brinker, D., Smith, C.. (2019) Interporfessional Student Learning: Perspectives Gained from Outreach in Underserved Communities in the Amazon Region of Peru. Common Ground Research Networks. Publication pending.
Butterfield, P., Schenk, E., Eide, P., Hahn, L., Postma, J., Fitzgerald, C., & Oneal, G. (2014). Implementing AACN’s Recommendations for Environmental Sustainability in Colleges of Nursing: From Concept to Impact. Journal of Professional Nursing 30(3), 196-202. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2013.10.002
Eide, P., Hahn, L. Bayne, T., Allen, C., Swain, D., 2006. The Population-Focused Analysis Project for Teaching Community Health. Nursing Education Perspective, 27(1), 22-27.
Britten, M., Hahn, L., Ragusa, T., Teaching Rural Nursing to Urban Students. 2001. Teaching/Learning Activities for rural Community Based Nursing Practice. Chapter 5, p 54-71.