Jamison Edwards

“By supporting the simulation program at the Washington State University College of Nursing, you are helping to save lives,” said Jameson Edwards, a recent BSN graduate from the college.

“My training in simulation has prepared me to save patients under my direct care,” Jameson said. “In simulation, I have practiced giving care in unique, and what could be stressful, life-threatening situations, which has directly impacted the way I give care in my current practice.”

Now a Registered Nurse working on the Cardiac Transplant Unit at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, Wash., Jameson has had many opportunities to utilize the simulation training he received.

“One night while I was on break, I heard a fellow nurse call for help,” he said. “I jumped up and grabbed a code cart, just like we are trained to do in simulation. I ran into the room to quickly assess the patient who had a potentially lethal ventricular arrhythmia.”

Jameson knew at that moment that if he didn’t act, the patient could die.

“There were two other nurses in the room and I took over as team leader,” he explained. “I had been through a similar situation in simulation and knew what to do.”

Jameson directed one nurse to take vitals and had the other ensure the IV access was good in order to push medications. He hooked up the leads and undressed the patient to get patches on, just in case they needed to defibrillate.

Luckily, the patient stabilized and their heart went back into a normal sinus rhythm.

“Being able to jump in and take charge under pressure made me realize how my education and the many hours of simulation training I received at WSU had prepared me for that moment.”

It isn’t just the patient care side of simulation that Jameson feels has prepared him for practice. His training in dealing with patient family members has been equally as important.

“During simulations, there was usually a fellow nursing student or instructor playing the role of a concerned family member,” he said.

“Sometimes the family member would be angry, or hostile, maybe confused, and they would have questions,” he said. “This allowed the opportunity to practice having difficult conversations and improve upon communication skills.”

Those simulated family interactions have helped Jameson be more comfortable talking to the families.

“Those experiences and interactions have helped me to navigate stressful conversations successfully,” he added. “I have been able to help reduce anxiety while improving care for patient’s stressful situations because of the training I received.”

Give to Nursing at https://nursing.wsu.edu/giving-opportunities/