Allison Bike for CancerAllison Perrine, a J2 nursing student at WSU College of Nursing, will bike 4,000 miles across America to benefit the Ulman Cancer Fund (UCF) for young adults. The ride starts on May 31, 2015 and to prepare for it, Allison is training on her bike, connecting with potential host sites, and continuing to fundraise. So far, Allison has raised approximately $8,000 of her $10,000 goal.

After she graduates in May 2016, she hopes to work in an oncology clinic, become an Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN), and eventually become an Oncology Nurse Practitioner (ONP). She would like to someday have a practice that embraces a holistic approach to treatment, healthy lifestyle programming, and spiritual counseling for patients with cancer.

Tell us about yourself.

My name is Allison Perrine. I am 23-years-old and I’m a J2 nursing student. I am originally from Michigan and moved to Spokane in 2010. Since then, I’ve jumped into the Spokane community getting involved at Southside Christian Church, the Spokane Swifts Running Team, and Spokane Team Blaze Triathlon Club.

What is the 4K for Cancer?

The 4K for Cancer is a 4,000+ mile bike ride across America benefiting the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, a non-profit organization dedicated to supplying life-changing support, awareness, and education for young adults with cancer. My team of 32 college-aged riders will spend 70 days biking from Baltimore to San Francisco. Along the way we will be stopping at local hospitals to do service projects, deliver chemo care packages, and do awareness presentations.

Why are you doing this?

My world was flipped upside down when I lost my mom, Rebecca Perrine, to stage IV breast cancer on October 24, 2011. That was when I decided to dedicate my life to helping cancer patients and their families. I currently work for the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program helping cancer survivors rebuild strength following treatment; I am going to WSU College of Nursing to become an oncology nurse; and perhaps craziest of all, I’m riding my bike 4,000 miles in my mother’s memory.

How can the Nursing community help support you?

There are two big ways to support me. The first is to make a donation. My goal is to raise $10,000 which will go directly to UCF. What I love about UCF is that the money raised goes directly to young adults affected by cancer. We provide college scholarships, fertility preserving treatments for patients whose treatment will cause sterility, support groups, patient navigation services, and transportation to treatment. The second way to support me is to invite me to do a presentation on young adult cancer and provide more information about UCF for your business, event, or church.

Donations can be made online or checks with “allison perrine” written in the memo section can be mailed to: 4k for cancer Ave, Ste 325 Baltimore, MD 21230