Cameron Good
Cameron Good, BSN, RN
DNP Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Student

“I believe nurse practitioners will help alleviate the weight that has been burdening Doctors and Physician Assistants, specifically in primary care. We are being called on to assume preventive and primary care roles that will benefit the entire spectrum of providers – and our patients.”

Cameron Good, originally from Bellevue, WA,  earned his BSN degree from WSU College of Nursing in 2013 and soon enrolled in the DNP Family Nurse Practitioner Program. His nursing experience includes working as an RN in the Emergency Department at Holy Family Hospital and with an Ophthalmology group, Spokane Eye Clinic.

How will Cameron make a difference with his degree? He is motivated to positively impact the lives of his patients, especially vulnerable, underserved populations. He hopes to gain a better perspective of their health care needs and to “assume the role of a leader, a change agent, and a collaborator.”

Why did you choose nursing as a profession?

I chose nursing as a profession because I have an abundance of positive energy, a personality that is contagious to those around me, an eagerness to challenge myself to higher levels of learning, and a strong desire to carry out God’s plan to help those in need. I look forward to working in a position where I can make a direct impact on people’s lives and feel rewarded both on a professional and personal level. My professional and clinical experiences have further confirmed my desire and goal of becoming a Family Nurse Practitioner.

Tell us a little about your background and nursing career. What led you to your current area of study?

To complement both of my academic achievements and previous business experience, I have had the pleasure of working as a Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department at Providence Holy Family Hospital along with the ophthalmology group at Spokane Eye Surgery Center. I have assumed a wide spectrum of responsibilities structured around patient-centric care. Both facilities strive to ensure that implementation of evidence based practice, patient safety, education, appropriate discharge planning, and compliance are all high priorities. This model has allowed me to fine-tune and expand my skillset, adapt to a teaching and learning environment, and look for ways to enrich my medical acumen.

What do you hope to do with your DNP degree?

Initially, I would like to work with a vulnerable/underserved population to gain a better perspective on how we, as medical professionals, can impact people’s lives and influence our surrounding communities. As I grow within my profession, I would like the opportunity accelerate into a family practice setting which will allow me to develop relationships with families and oversee their medical care needs for an extended period of time.

Why did you choose to obtain your DNP from WSU College of Nursing?

WSU has framed its hybrid DNP program in a manner that allows the student to participate in classroom discussions along with self-sustained online participation. I enjoy the design of this pathway because it allows for flexibility while demanding interface with professors and colleagues. The WSU program is continuously evolving as change takes place across the DNP continuum, which is a vital component in producing successful graduate providers. 

How do you see nurses filling the need in our changing health care system?

Nurses holding bachelor degrees from accredited institutions are highly prepared and learning to transition into practice seamlessly while learning to adapt to the convoluted health care system. As BSN prepared RN’s, we are trained to construct a holistic foundation while incorporating evidence-based research into our scope of practice. With these concepts taken into consideration and used appropriately, nurses should be able to adjust to the volatile health care system with ease. 

What impact will advanced degree nurses have on the nursing shortage?

I believe advanced degree nurses will help alleviate the weight that has been burdening medical doctors and physician assistants, specifically in the primary care sector. We will be called on to assume preventive and primary care roles that will help the entire spectrum of providers. Assuming a role as an ARNP will impact the shortage of nurses because of our ability to continue serving patients built around our nursing foundation. Through combination of the medical and nursing model, ARNP’s play a versatile role in clinical practice while wearing multiple hats.

What advice would you give to students considering obtaining their advanced nursing degree?

Advancing your education is challenging and stimulating, but most importantly, it is a rewarding process. It demands a lot of late nights and there is a steep monetary commitment, but the reward at the end is well worth the journey. As nurses, we will never stop elevating our level of learning whether it is in practice or in the classroom. My advice is if you are considering going back to advance your degree, you have to be all in and committed. Most importantly, we have to learn to have fun along the way!